|Event Name:||French Open|
|Where:||Roland Garros; Paris, France|
|Dates:||5/24/15 – 6/7/15|
|Tour:||WTA & ATP|
|Defending Champs:||Rafael Nadal & Maria Sharapova|
|Runner-up:||Novak Djokovic & Simona Halep|
The 2015 is loaded with questions and will surely be two weeks of action that we fans will not want miss. Is it time for a “changing of the guard” on the women’s side? If it is who will be there to take over? Underdogs like Carla Suarez Navarro can make a huge push. What? Navarro is ranked 8th and you are calling her an underdog? Yes, she has improved her game that much. She has somehow run into a monster named Serena every time, but she has played great against everyone else. it is hard for me to pick Ivanovic, Bouchard, and Wozniacki just because you never know which one of those ladies will show up. The only person outside of the top 10 that I believe has a chance to win is Vika. You’ll find the reason later on.
On the guy’s only seven of the top eight players have a chance of winning to be frank. David Ferrer is the Aga Radwanska of men’s tennis. Both players receive high rankings, but they can not beat better players. Like ever! Last season Kei Nishikori thrusted himself into the conversation of being the best men’s player, but I do not believe he is ready to win. John Isner continues to play well in none major events, and I expect that trend to press on. More on the chances of Amercians and the French later on.
- All eyes are on Serena as it is her tournament to lose. She seeks to claim major win number twenty and her third straight major victory overall. Will her elbow injury prevent her from a victory?
- Can Sharapova go into a major tourney without losing in an upset early? She should be able to come out of her quarter easily.
- Simona Halep is a finalist from last year, will she be able to break through to get her first major win.
- Victoria Azarenka seems to be getting back to her old self, as she is now healthy. She had Serena down for a couple of match points down in Madrid before choking. Vika is ranked 27th, but is clearly not an underdog. She will most likely face Serena in the 3rd round.
- 1st round match I am most looking forward to seeing: Venus Williams versus Sloane Stephens. People wrote the 34-year-old Williams off a few years ago, by she has fought off disease and non-believers to get back to being a major championship threat. In 2013, Stephens was pronounced the American heir to Serena’s crown, but she followed up with an awful 2014. Sloane has been up and down all season, as her record is 11-9, but I expect her to put up a battle against Venus.
- So this guy named Rafael Nadal has won this event in the past five years. Actually, he has won nine of the past ten French Opens. He will come into the tourney ranked sixth, but I must say that I do not expect him to win this year. For his standards he has been awful on clay. Typically, he wins every match on the red stuff, but he has only won one clay tournament he entered this year. It will be tough; if anyone can defy the odds it’s him.
- Can Novak finally win the French? No other questions needed.
- 33-year-old, Roger Federer will pursue his second major at Roland Garros. He has played great in 2015, but can he defeat Novak and Rafa. They seem to be his kryptonite.
- Will an American break through to win the title? No.
- Will a Frenchman break through to win the title? No, but they have better chances than the Americans.
Top 32 Seeds:
|1||Novak Djokovic||Serena Wiliams|
|2||Roger Federer||Maria Sharapova|
|3||Andy Murray||Simona Halep|
|4||Tomas Berdych||Petra Kvitova|
|5||Kei Nishikori||Caroline Wozniacki|
|6||Rafael Nadal||Eugenie Bouchard|
|7||David Ferrer||Ana Ivanovic|
|8||Stan Wawrinka||Carla Suárez Navarro|
|9||Martin Cilic||Ekaterina Makarova|
|10||Grigor Dimitrov||Andrea Petkovic|
|11||Feliciano Lopez||Angelique Kerber|
|12||Gilles Simon||Karolina Pliskova|
|13||Gael Monfils||Lucie Safarova|
|14||Jo-Wilfred Tsonga||Aga Radwanska|
|15||Kevin Anderson||Venus Williams|
|16||John Isner||Madison Keys|
|17||David Goffin||Sara Errani|
|18||Tommy Robredo||Svetlana Kuznetsova|
|19||Roberto Bautista Agut||Elina Svitolina|
|20||Richard Gasquet||Sabine Lisicki|
|21||Pablo Cuevas||Garbiñe Muguruza|
|22||Philipp Kohlschreiber||Barbora Strycova|
|23||Leonardo Mayer||Timea Bacsinszky|
|24||Ernests Gulbis||Peng Shuai|
|25||Ivo Karlovic||Jelena Jankovic|
|26||Guillermo Garcia-Lopez||Sam Stosur|
|27||Bernard Tomic||Vika Azarenka|
|28||Fabio Fognini||Flavia Pennetta|
|29||Nick Kyrgios||Alizė Cornet|
|30||Adrian Mannarino||Irina-Camelia Begu|
|31||Viktor Troicki||Caroline Garcia|
|32||Fernando Verdasco||Zarina Diyas|
My Predictions: Serena Williams & Novak Djokovic
Other Bloggers say:
Photo: (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)
For up to the minute information be sure to sign up for the email list and follow Down the Line Sports & Entertainment.
Share a Link via Twitter
Follow Regis J. Welch on Twitter
Follow Down the Line Sports and Entertainment on Twitter