I’ve been watching Lucha Underground for the past month and I can finally give an educated opinion about the product. The show is a great hour worth of action. All of the behind the scenes action may take a total of five minutes.
What I love:
1. Everything backstage. The backstage is cinematic a suspenseful. It’s just like you get to watch a quality television show in between wrestling matches.
2. Usage of talent. Lucha Underground uses their talent the same way that Ring of Honor uses theirs. Only a couple of luchas have appeared on back-to-back episodes. They definitely do not run a risk of over exposure, however it is difficult to keep track of some storylines.
3. Lighting. The lighting makes everything seem more dramatic.
What I hate:
1. Intergender matches. In wake of the Ray Rice scandal I would think that promotions are staying away from this entirely, but Lucha Underground has had a male versus female match in two of the last four weeks. To me the best wrestling is the wrestling that is believable. There is no way a man can truly hit a woman and she bounces back up and then later pin him. I understand if there needs to be a blow off but not just because the GM does not like a character.
2. Gimmick matches. I like gimmick matches just like everyone else, but the ones that make sense. For example, as I said previously I don’t like male versus female matches. Seeing a female lucha team with a “little person” and “flamboyant” guy defeat the three tough hombres is just not believable. I have seen some tough women, homosexuals and little people, but to see them get dismantled the way that I seen the get whipped and still win is unheard of especially when the opposing team is made up of three bad asses.
3. Who am I to pull for? As a heel fan I am unsure of whom to pull for. I suppose it is because I have not watched it from the beginning, but at some point fans need to know who to root for.
I must say that I like the show and will continue to watch. It brings a different look and energy to the product. You can find Lucha Underground on the El Rey network. Check your local listings.
For up to the minute information be sure to sign up for the email list and follow Down the Line Sports & Entertainment.
Share a Link via twitter
Twitter Follow Regis J. Welch
Twitter Follow Down the Line Sports and Entertainment